Visit My Web Site

http://www.naturesgardenheirlooms.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, June 15, 2009

One Gallon Dandelion Wine

I came across this in a little community fundraising cookbook from Woodville, Ontario. If anyone has tried a similar recipe I would love to hear how it turned out, or didn’t! The bears are the only ones interested in the thousands of dandelions I have around my house, they could have competition soon.

1 gal dandelions
3 lb brown sugar
3 or 4 lemons, juice, skin and seeds all chopped up together
3 or 4 oranges, chopped same as lemons
1 ½ to 2 pkgs yeast

Pick perfect open dandelion blossoms when dew is on them. Put blooms in a 2 gallon or larger open crock and pour boiling water over them. Cover crock with cheesecloth and let it sit at room temperature 3 days. Squeeze all the juice out of the flowers, throw them away and save the liquid.
Pour liquid into a large pot and add brown sugar and chopped up fruit. Put top on pot and boil mixture for 30 minutes; cool until lukewarm. Pour liquid into crock and add yeast. Cover the brew with cheesecloth and let it work for 2 or 3 weeks until bubbling stops. Filter through fresh cheesecloth and then bottle.
Save your bottled sunshine and uncap it on a gray overcast January day. Presto! It’s summer again.

As I said it was interesting and I would love any feedback. I don’t think I would wait until January to uncork the first bottle though!

No comments:

Post a Comment